Functional Explanation Again

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 13:54:41 PST 2001

I _specifically_ excepted black hatred of whites, which I regard as not unreasonable, although unfortunate. I think it's racism, though, when Asians--today a privileged group, though not historically, and of course not all Asians--hate blacks. Or when Jews do. Bear in mind, when my Jewish ancestors came to this country, Jews weren't white. In Japan, anti-black racism is fairly ferious; also anti-Chinese and anti-Korean racism. (Right. Yoshie?)

I agree, of course, that in America, anti-black racism by whites is the benchmark of other racisms. But you seem to think that is an objection to having a term to pick it out, to distinguish it from other racisms. I find that puzzling.

--jks