Unauthorized practice of law.

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 07:49:35 PST 2001

Regulation of attorneys is state law. In Illinois, as a non-attorney engaged in unauthorized practice of law, you could be liable for damages. Maybe you think your friend won't sue you. Maybe in your state (is it CA?) he can't. Though there is some older contrary caselaw. Well, it's a risk you take. Aside from the legalities, there is also prudence. The law is complicated and there is often real money at stake. Would you let yourself be treated for a potentially serious illness by someone without medical tradining and qualifications? --jks

In Torres v. Fiol, 441 N.E.2d 13001300 (Ill. App;. Ct. 1982), plaintiffs agreed to lease the store to XX "who assumed certain contractual obligations to the mortgage holder. Plaintiffs alleged that they contacted defendant, who held himself *11 out to the public for the purpose of rendering legal services, to prepare the necessary documents for the transaction. Plaintiffs claimed that defendant rendered a legal opinion and advice on the transaction and also prepared the documents for the transaction, although they averred he performed the latter in an improper and careless manner." The court held that "plaintiffs are not prevented from proceeding against defendant upon a negligence theory for his alleged improper activity."

The case quotes some other authority: While not extensive there appear several reported decisions allowing for the recovery against a non-attorney for the unauthorized and negligent practice of law. In > Biakanja v. Irving (1958), 49 Cal.2d 647, 320 P.2d 16 a non- attorney was charged with improperly preparing a will. The court commented that "such conduct should be discouraged *12 and not protected by immunity from civil liability, as would be the case if plaintiff, the only person who suffered a loss, were denied a right of action." (> 320 P.2d 16, 19.) Similar to the Biakanja case is > Latson v. Eaton (Okl.1959), 341 P.2d 247, where a non-attorney was held liable for the preparation of legal documents.

Further, in > Mattieligh v. Poe (1960), 57 Wash.2d 203, 356 P.2d 328, the court remarked that the undertaking involving the practice of law by a real estate broker, who was not an attorney, may render him liable if the work is negligently performed. See also > Wright v. Langdon (Ark.1981), 623 S.W.2d 823, 827.