Bankruptcy grace period

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 08:12:49 PST 2001

People talk about professionalization and regulation of law and medicine like it's a bad thing. Look, the situation with crooked, incompetent, and indifferent lawyers and doctors is bad enough as it is, even with regulation. But these are real disciplines that require mastry of complex bodies of material. Moreover, unlike academics, there is a real cost to real human beings if it's badly done--well, I don't mean to discount the interests of students, but in fact in much of academics that isn't a consideration; I meant research. If you go to a quack doctor, you may get rooked or die. If you go to a charlatan "attorney," you may lose your money, or your house, or go to jail. I see what happens when people represent themselves, sometimes with the "help" of friends. Occassionally--very occasionally--they do a creditable job, better than some of the loser lawyers who practice before the courts. Mostly they blow everything, and can only be rescued if a sympathetic judge or clerk puts in more time than she ought to pull something from the wreckage. Without regulation and the guild mentality, there would be a lot more of that. So, guild mentality? You bet. --jks