Bankruptcy grace period

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 09:41:49 PST 2001

Of course people do this with contracts all the time. It's pretty unusual too involve a lawyer in that, even when it is written. (After all, everytime you buy something, there's a contract.) With a simple will, you can almost certainly do it yourself. No state that I know of requires that will be prepared by a lawyer. You have to make sure you comply with the witness and other requirements. If you have any significant assets or want to do anything fancy, it's probably best not to try to do it yourself. If it's: I leave everything to my wife, and, if she does first, to my kids, maybe a do-it-yourself job is OK. However, apparently simple dispositions can have startling unanticipated and probably undesired effects. I could tell you stories . . . . But it's another reason to think about seeing a lawyer.

--jks