Bankruptcy grace period

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Fri Mar 23 09:57:57 PST 2001

brettk at unicacorp.com wrote:

>What I find annoying are the services which don't need to be handled by a
>professional, and are much more expensive than they need to be because
>professionals are the only ones "authorized" to do them. For example, you
>should be able to write your own will without the help of a lawyer. Most
>of the time it can be done with a fill-in-the-blank form. There are lots
>of other examples, not limited to the legal profession.
>
>Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole-hill, But in such cases
>credentialism is not a good thing.
>
>Brett

i briefly dated someone who'd been in law school in NY. moved to FL for some reason, put off finishing up law school. in the mean time, FL changed the laws so that individuals can fill out the forms on their own wrt Family Court stuff (divorce, etc). now there are a slew of paralegals and law school drop outs who do this kind of work for fees that amount to about 8$/hr.

the problem is that a lot of people can't figure out how to fill out 1040ez (they pay my dad $ to do it for them! no lie!), let alone negotiate legal paperwork.

kelley