Reparations: What does the campaign involve

Fri Mar 23 10:14:15 PST 2001

>By the way, I'm still waiting for your explanation for why the BRC
>is the authentic voice of black America, while the 90% of black
>Americans who voted for Gore aren't. You've said with repeated force
>that the Democrats must be destroyed, right? In overwhelming
>numbers, black Americans don't agree. Why?
>
>Doug

_____

Yoshie: Both the Black Radical Congress and blacks who voted for Gore and/or some other Democrat are black. There may be even some overlap between these two groups of blacks. For instance, Representative John Conyers, Jr. (D - MI) has kept, since 1989, introducing a bill calling for a study of slavery, its impact, & feasibility of reparations. Aside from the overlap, we can & should ask a question: who knows & serves the best interests of black & other workers -- Al Gore or the Black Radical Congress? The BRC!

CB:

Conyers attended the BRC meeting in Detroit in June 2000, and has long been a champion of the principles in the BRC basic documents, so does that mean his majority Black district elects a BRCer as an authentic voice of Black America ?

The U.S.dictatorship of the bourgeoisie works in part by narrowly confining the choices of voters. A good test of the authentic thinking of Black America would be if a BRC member were on the ballot for President with a real chance to win the election against Gore, a test the ruling class would never allow to happen.

Conyers also organized his own picketline every Sunday in support of the recently striking Detroit newspaper workers and required his staff to be on it. When plants were closing in the 1980's , he held community meetings, introduced a federal bill for a moratorium on plantclosings, marched around GM headquarters often. In this period, he and Rep. Charles Hayes also introduced the Income and Jobs Action Act bill in Congress, comprehensive legislation for making full employment real.

Conyers has been in the working class struggle more and longer than most non-Democratic Party lefts.

The numerical strength does not determine who knows & can represent the interests of the working class best. Richard Gephardt is better known to American workers than Doug Henwood, to take just one example, but that doesn't mean that the former can better know & represent the interests of the working class than the latter.

Yoshie