Reparations: What does the campaign involve

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 23 11:02:05 PST 2001

Charles Brown wrote:

>Conyers attended the BRC meeting in Detroit in June 2000, and has
>long been a champion of the principles in the BRC basic documents,
>so does that mean his majority Black district elects a BRCer as an
>authentic voice of Black America ?

Well, there is no authentic voice of black America, is there? The white ruling class likes to pick authentic voices - part of the luxury of being a ruling class is getting to designate the official representatives of groups you oppress - but I would like to hear Carrol's justification for a white Marxist doing a similar thing. Over the years, he's argued that "outsiders" have no right to offer opinions on matters of concern to "insiders" - I remember him making that argument about China's membership in the WTO, for example, which many non-Chinese oppose as detrimental to the interests of Chinese workers - but he does seem to have preferences for who represents the insiders. So I'd like to hear the theory behind the choosing.

Doug