Krugman on Cal power

Bob Morris bobmorris at mediaone.net
Mon Mar 26 14:26:23 PST 2001

>Truly remarkable that the "not enough electricity"
falsehoods are being repeated here. In fact there is plenty of electricity generating capacity

Not within California. Else why would California be forced to buy from other states? And virtually all the California municipalities that have stable power get that power from out-of-state plants that they own.

>"California electricity autarchy" is advocated by
those who wish to avoid blaming the capitalist market.

Hey, if I was Energy Czar, I'd cap the rates. But I'm not. I live in L.A. where power is stable and rates are cheap, you, from your tag, live in Oakland, where you are probably not so lucky. So what do we do?

The State is hemorrhaging money, natural gas prices will undoubtedly spike upwards again the summer, we will have little hydro power coming from the Northwest, the QFs (qualifying facilities who produce alternative power) can now sell into the grid rather than being forced to sell to non-paying utils guaranteeing less power for the State.

I don't have any answers. What do you think should be done?