Student Protests Against Horowitz Ad]

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Wed Mar 28 06:27:52 PST 2001

> BRC STATEMENT ON STUDENT PROTESTS AGAINST HOROWITZ AD
>
> The recent attack on Black people mounted by ultra-right
> winger David Horowitz, in full-page, anti-reparations
> advertisements which he attempted to publish on more than
> 50 university campuses nationwide, has created an unsafe
> climate for Black students on those campuses. The content
> of the ads, particularly in the absence of any refuting
> arguments, constitutes a message of hate, pure and simple.

Not to stick up for the Brown paper (I've never read the thing), but didn't its editors offer those opposed to Horowitz's screed op-ed space to counter his bullshit? If so, why didn't they seize the opening (however small)?

> In attacking the basic concept of reparations, a concept
> the Black Radical Congress strongly supports and which is
> rapidly gaining diverse support around the country, the ad
> maliciously misrepresents the activities and perspectives
> of historical Black movements.

I'm sure the ad misrepresents all sorts of things (a Horowitz specialty), but is the "basic concept of reparations" really "gaining diverse support around the country"? Somehow I don't get that impression. Poll numbers, quotes and the like would be helpful.

> But even more outrageous than Horowitz's views -- views he
> is constitutionally entitled to express -- is his use of
> campus newspapers as the principal weapon to specifically
> target a nearly defenseless population: Black youth.
> Obviously, he knows that Black students lack access to
> the financial means required to mount a counter-attack.

True, black students (indeed most students, regardless of color) don't have Horowitz's money to buy ads. But again, did they spurn an offer to publish a rebuttal? And does this lack of financial means justify that clumsy, self-defeating tactic of grabbing every paper in sight?

> The First Amendment does
> not justify racism or entitle hateful people to
> destabilize and render dangerous the learning
> environments of Black youth.

BRC contradicts itself. Above it says that Horowitz is "constitutionally entitled" to express his views; below it says that the First Amendment "does not justify racism." Which is it? The First Amendment doesn't "justify" anything save the right to speak without fear of state interference. Thus, anyone and everyone is covered (except the standard exceptions, libel, slander, etc.). Racists and fascists have the right to speak their minds, as do radicals of the left.

Perhaps the BRC should focus more on the editorial make-up of the Brown paper and expose the lack of true democratic access to media outlets -- a lack of access that is not restricted solely to campus papers. And stop giving Horowitz so much attention. That is his game, and sadly, these students and their patrons are playing right along.

DP