Student Protests Against Horowitz Ad]

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:07:15 PST 2001

>Some of those opposing it may object to an apology as
>an empty Clintonian gesture, but I kind of doubt that.
>
>Doug

Why? No one has done more to debase the concept of an apology than Clinton, with the possible institutional exception of -- to be perfectly provincial about this -- the Long Island Rail Road, whose motto surely should be a refrain I hear with mantra-like regularity as a commuter: "We apologize for the inconvenience."

To me, the concept of apologizing for the enormity of slavery ("Sorry about that!") seems grotesque. I really don't see any solution until this society stops fetishizing "equal opportunity" and commits itself to assuring equal *results*.

Carl