myth of upward mobility

Patrick Ellis patricke at jps.net
Wed Mar 28 17:09:14 PST 2001

John Mage wrote:

> > Oh, but the Danes most certainly do have a "persistent and tenacious
> > social class structure."

Granted. Who don't? Obviously I should have qualified that, but is Danish class structure anything approaching that of the US or even the rest of Europe? Not from what I've seen. Class is of course tenacious everywhere, but generations of "relatively egalitarian income redistribution" will erode it and result in a less stratified society. Whether erosion of the Danish class structure can be sustained in light of the current triumph of global capitalism remains to be seen.

Patrick