Student Protests Against Horowitz Ad]

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 28 17:13:19 PST 2001

> > Are you opposed to sabotage, property destruction, etc. in principle,
>> whoever does them for whatever purposes?
>>
>> Yoshie
>
>Depends. If we were in a civil war or some kind of revolutionary period, I
>would not be against sabotage or property destruction if it helped to
>advance the cause in the face of counter-revolutionary violence. I'm also in
>favor of self-defense. I've long felt that women's health centers should
>have armed guards to show the antichoice assassins and terrorists that they
>mean business. But these are, in present time, extreme cases. What happened
>at Brown (and at Seattle) was a sideshow, and served to undermine the larger
>cause.
>
>DP

No civil disobedience that involves symbolic destruction of properties -- from anarchists smashing corporate windows to religious leftists hammering on nuclear missile nose cones -- in times of so-called "peace"? Graffiti ("No More Prisons," etc.)? Flag-burning? Burning selective service registration forms? Defacing right-wing, corporate, & imperial state websites? Redirecting visitors from right-wing to left-wing websites automatically? Culture jamming in general? Sabotaging the work of scabs without assaulting scabs themselves (e.g., trashing an office building to sabotage the use of scabs when janitors are on strike)? And so on and so forth?

LBO-talkers defending Horowitz' "right" to place an ad ("free speech = money to advertise") are not unlike Medea Benjamin & Co. protecting the corporate windows of Nike, etc. from festive & youthful anarchist window-smashers.

Yoshie