"Theft" of Free Newspapers (was Re: Student Protests Against Horowitz Ad)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 28 17:21:55 PST 2001

Gordon says:

>Yoshie Furuhashi:
>> Brown students of color correctly acted in protest against the Brown
>> _Daily Herald_ -- a student paper that should be accountable to
>> students -- which sold its soul *and readers* to Horowitz the
>> advertiser for the sake of racist dollars. And they did so without
>> breaking any law (unless Providence and/or Rhode Island has a law
>> against destroying "free" newspapers -- see my postscript below). :-)
>
>I don't see how it enters the realm of correctness if by
>correct we mean leading to something we desire. It is true
>the newspapers, and liberal freedom of speech in general,
>are not actually free but beholden to Capital. However,
>destroying the papers did not alter or even illustrate this
>fact -- it was easily read as mere group animosity (as if
>the students were a fraternity or athletic team which had
>been insulted.)

That is where intellectuals such as underpaid left-wing ABDs & Ph.D.s on this list come in. :) We got theory to which radical undergrads have yet to gain access, and we should use it in P.R. wars like this. Re-frame the issue as cool & radical "culture jamming." It's not an infringement of free speech; it's a legal protest against *being sold to racist advertisers* like Horowitz.

Yoshie