"Theft" of Free Newspapers (was Re: Student Protests Against Horowitz Ad)

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Wed Mar 28 19:07:25 PST 2001

At 07:40 PM 3/28/01 -0500, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>Brown students of color correctly acted in protest against the Brown
>_Daily Herald_ -- a student paper that should be accountable to students
>-- which sold its soul *and readers* to Horowitz the advertiser for the
>sake of racist dollars. And they did so without breaking any law (unless
>Providence and/or Rhode Island has a law against destroying "free"
>newspapers -- see my postscript below). :-)

as i mentioned, brown and other papers that ran horowitz's ad are not official university newspapers. in brown's case it is a non-profit organization, founded in 1975 likely (as in the case of Berk and Wisc) b/c the censorship of their respective universities/uni politics during the 60s and 70s meant that they chose to break free of uni demands, etc.

kelley