Reparations revived; was; Defacing Websites

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 29 14:08:32 PST 2001

> > Ian Murray wrote:
>>
>> >Perhaps those who have successfully agitated/organized for the holocaust
>> >reparations have created a cookbook for strategies and tactics that are
>> >transposable to a US context? Names, phone #'s etc to make contacts
> > >yaddah yaddah.
> >
>> That's some model. Enrich lawyers and establishment organizations,
>> while the real victims get a few bucks.
>>
>> Doug
>**************
>
>Let's back up. I mean learn from their strategies and tactics. That's not
>the same as mimicking the undesirable behavior of the agents that did the
>strategizing and tactics. Then again, how would we stop the lawyers and
>trustafarians from bandwaggoning ANY movement that gathered momentum in the
>public consciousness? For every Justin there are 243 lawyers who would love
>to collect reparations rents. That's why, if there is a cookbook we take
>what we can learn from it, even if it's a case of largely learning what NOT
>to do.
>
>Ian

***** US Lawyers To Sue For Slavery Reparations

P.M.News January 3, 2001 Posted to the web January 3, 2001

Lagos

A team of lawyers led by a Harvard professor is preparing to sue the US Government and surviving businesses that profited from slavery. "We will be seeking more than just monetary compensation," Charles Ogletree, leader of the Reparations Assessment Group, said. "We want a change in America. We want full recognition, and a remedy, of how slavery stigmatised, raped, murdered and exploited millions of Africans through no fault of their own."

The group includes Johnnie Cochran, who defended O.J. Simpson; Alexander Pires Jr, who won a $1 billion settlement for black farmers who claimed discrimination by the US Department of Agriculture; and Richard Scruggs, who won a $368 billion dollar settlement for states against tobacco companies. Their efforts are just one part of a growing lobby for reparations to be paid to black Americans descended from slaves....

[The full article is at <http://allafrica.com/stories/200101030247.html>. A similar article is also found at <http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,246998-412,00.shtml>.] *****

I'm afraid these lawyers won't be cheap, in the event that this faction of the reparation movement carries the day.

Yoshie