"Practicalities" of Reparations

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 29 20:26:03 PST 2001

Leo, you are hopeless. If the basis of eligibility is descent from slaves, this can be established in lots of ways. No reasonable program would insist on being able to produce paperwork back to the time one's ancestors came off the boat. Use of race, including self-identification, could be a proxy for slave descent, something what would createa rebuttable presumption of entitlement; it would not be distribution because of race, but because of slave ancestry, of which race is a pretty good indicator. If a lot of white people claimed to be black, I think that would be rather nice, don't you? Why would it be a problem? Who said I dismissed Robinson's trust fund or whatever it is? I never said anything about it. I don't know anything about it. And righting some wrongs doesn't mean a program that does it has to right all wrongs. Finally, although I expressed myself carelessly with respect to who would pay, a moment's thought would show that I meant that white workers, indeed all Americans, would have to pay, if a settlement camre from tax funds. You are dodging the political question, too, Leo: are reparations a good idea? If so, we can figure out how to implement them. As I say, bog class settlements provide an excellent model that often face harder administraive problems. But the first question is: are they a good idea?