"Practicalities" of Reparations

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 30 09:01:13 PST 2001

Justin Schwartz wrote:

>As I say, bog class settlements provide an excellent model that
>often face harder administraive problems.

While I have no idea what a "bog class settlement" is, I doubt any of them ever involve 35 million people. Though if money were on offer, I'm sure there would be a lot more than 35 million people; hell, Bob Barr might even end up self-identifying as black. Which might be a good thing.

On what you call the "political" question - I think the moral claim for reparations is irrefutable. (So would any Indian claim for reparations.) But I'm absolutely stumped how to get from the moral to the material realm. If the case for reparations forces people - mostly white people - to talk about our disgraceful history, that would be a very good thing.

Doug