racist opinion a crime ?

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 30 07:53:44 PST 2001

I was of course making a legal point about the law in the US. But this is a law I support. So yes, contrary to Charles, but with, I think, Marx, I think that in this respect France is less free than the U.S. In a perfectly obvious sense, that is true: people are free to express opinions here that would subject them to criminal prosecution and maybe civil liability in France. Now, you might argue, as Charles does, that less freedom is a good thing, if the freedom is used for ill, But it is best to be clear about what one is defending--in your case, and in Charles's, less freedom.

Less freedom does not mean no freedom, it should not be necessary to say: no one would confuse contemporary France with Stalinist Russia. And it does not follow from France being less free in this respect that it is less free overall. But it is less free in this respect, and defendfers of laws that outlaw speech they find obnoxious are deceiving themselves if they think otherwise.

--jks