FTAA media training in NYC

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Fri Mar 30 08:09:36 PST 2001

This time, WE set the media's agenda - not the police, and not the corporate bosses!

The FTAA talks are coming up on April 20-21. Coming up even sooner is the April 19 border crossing by US activists at Cornwall, to join the Caravan Against Capitalism en route to Quebec City. Already, the corporate press is working overtime to paint a picture of violent, know-nothing "criminals" from the US being "smuggled" into the country by the pesky Mohawk community. As for the message we're actually trying to get across ... well, that just kind of gets left somewhere on the editing room floor!

It's hard to sway the media when they're already infected with a wrong viewpoint. But we're going to have plenty of opportunities to try in the next few weeks, because the press is going to be all over us - in NYC, in Burlington, in Cornwall, in Quebec City itself. So NYC-DAN's Media Working Group is holding a media training next Monday, Apr. 2, at 7pm, for activists who'll be protesting the Summit of the Americas meeting and the FTAA . It's in Room 114 at CHARAS/El Bohio, 605 East 9th Street between Aves B&C in Manhattan.

EVERYONE should come to this event who thinks they may find themselves speaking with a reporter on the FTAA (it could happen to anyone!), or who wants to figure out a strategy for getting their organization or affinity group's message across to the mainstream press. Topics covered will include:

--How to talk to the pres: Profiling the corporate press and how to communicate with them effectively; --Combating media misperceptions of the anti-globalization movement; --Taking control of the agenda: How to pitch your own ideas to the media successfully; --Developing a "sound bite": Polishing your group's message to make sure it makes it into print; --Creating press releases FAST, and how to get them out to the press before, during and after protest actions.

We've got two great, experienced media activists to do the training: Ann Northrup, former CBS News producer, longtime media outreach with ACT UP!, and currently co-host of a weekly gay news show on Channel 35 in Manhattan, and Kenny Bruno, who's worked on media outreach with a variety of environmental groups.

Please pass this announcement on - while this media training will be aimed specifically at anti-FTAA, anti-globalization activists, anyone's welcome who'd like to learn how to have more effective contacts with the mainstream media. Remember, when we're out in the streets raising our voices and getting in the bosses' way, we're ALL spokespeople! For further info, call Eric at (212) 620-7615, or email to laursene at earthlink.net.

See you there, and see you in the streets!