Upside of Horowitz Ad

J Cullen jcullen at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 30 09:13:26 PST 2001

I think the Horowitz flap represents an opportunity for the left -- but up to this point the left has fallen into the trap Horowitz set and have been depicted in the mainstream media, if anything, as censors and opponents of debate on reparations.

I don't understand why editors at college newspapers are responsible for advertisements in the first place, but they should take this opportunity to expand the debate, not to limit it.

Before Horowitz placed his ads, the reparations discussion was pretty much limited to the "usual suspects." At least Horowitz has gotten the subject covered in the New York Times and the Washington Post, although I'm not sure progressives were as prepared to take advantage of this opportunity as Horowitz obviously was. (For one thing, he is an experienced hustler up against a bunch of naive student journalists. He picks his opponents well.)

-- Jim Cullen