Upside of Horowitz Ad

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 31 09:54:43 PST 2001

>Before Horowitz placed his ads, the reparations discussion was
>pretty much limited to the "usual suspects." At least Horowitz has
>gotten the subject covered in the New York Times and the Washington
>Post, although I'm not sure progressives were as prepared to take
>advantage of this opportunity as Horowitz obviously was. (For one
>thing, he is an experienced hustler up against a bunch of naive
>student journalists. He picks his opponents well.)
>
>-- Jim Cullen

The Right, for all their sneering at "the cultural elite" (which is mainly for public consumption), take higher education -- at least as a battlefield in a Gramscian war of ideological positions + government expenditure -- far more seriously than the Left do in the USA. _Guide to Uncovering the Right on Campus_, eds. Dalya Massachi & Rich Cowan, is a helpful countermove by the Left. Naturally, we don't have the same financial resources as the Right, but we have enough manpower to make some change (if not a great deal of change). We need, however, a change in attitude toward ideological work.

Yoshie