"Practicalities" of Reparations (was Re: Defacing Websites, "Stealing" Free Papers)

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Fri Mar 30 09:29:24 PST 2001

At 11:37 AM 3/30/01 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> Racial profiling demands that cops define race.
>
>So we get a bunch of NJ State Troopers who know 'em when they see 'em to
>set social policy?
>
>Doug

I had to report that my tires had been slashed last week. 17 other people did too. You just do it over the phone and the officer asked me the usual info for the Uniform Crime Report. So, she's typing my answers into the database. At one point, however, she simply doesn't ask and says "white female" to indicate that she was filling that space in on the form as if there wasn't much of a question that i was. i've had to call cops and report a crime twice now, and each time they assume i'm a white female. in this particular case, tho, i discovered that the same thing happened to my neighbors. most everyone was identified on the phone like that. with my neighbor, tho, they didn't get right because she's Jaimaican. the officer wanted to peg her as Hispanic.

bah!

kelley