$3 a gallon gas?

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Thu May 3 01:15:29 PDT 2001

G'day Daniel,

>I wholeheartedly condemn this heavy-handed and capitalistic
>approach to debt default. If we are to show solidarity with
>the developing world and encourage the formation a debtor's
>cartel, we must lead by example. All of which implies that
>Max, Kelley and Rob can equally whistle for it. Stand firm,
>Mark my brother!

Betya a bottle of LBOphroaig (a rare delicacy boasting even fewer malts than Laphroaig) Mark stands most resolutely firm, Daniel! In this now time-honoured LBO spirit, I also bet a bottle a pop that (a) we're near the end of a dead-cat bounce, as "investors" and lenders are about to realise that residential employment and earnings shouldn't be going backwards while residential debt is climbing and that telcos have a long self-destructive time ahead of them; (b) Australia will promise James Kelly the use of Pine Gap as forward Star Wars surveillance node and primary nuclear target just before he 'consults' us; and (c) a Pentagon leak discloses that Rumsfeld did write those orders.

>... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is
>more >difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to
>inaugurate it. -- >Bertrand Russell

... and we might require a little revolutionary transformation of the relations of production, too. Sprach one John Stuart Mill: 'It is questionable if all the mechanical inventions yet made have lightened the day's toil of any human being.'

Cheers, One who already pays $3 a gallon and can't afford a car that doesn't cost $80 a week to run ...