MSOFT versus Open Source movement

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri May 4 14:26:31 PDT 2001

Matt Cramer wrote:

> I used to be a Free/Open Software Zealot. "There is no reason why
> everyone can not run Free software". Bah, bullshit. People have complex
> lives; some don't have the time, skills, or energy to use this kind of
> software. Who am I to judge someone that doesn't feel like doing all the
> reading and installing necessary to use linux instead of Windoze when he
> just wants get email and browse the web? What, after 12 hours at the
> factory a guy doesn't feel like tinkering with his linux machine for a few
> hours each night? He'd rather relax and play with his kids, or have a
> beer at the local pub? Omigod who wulda guessed it!?!

I'm still a Free Software advocate on political principles, but your observation here is so true. I've mentioned this to programmer friends, that an easy to install and use Linux distro would gain alot of users who don't want to be bothered to learn all of the arcane Linux shit. Of course, there is an argument to made about knowing how your tools work. But most people use cars to get around, they aren't tinkerers. I'm a web guy who is the same way. I want my computer and programs to work so I can use them to do cool, creative things.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).