MSOFT versus Open Source movement

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Fri May 4 17:55:36 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

> A progressive person has much better things to do with his/her time...

Yeah but Christ the latest MS stuff (I speak of the Win95/98/ME series, not NT/2000, which is actually pretty decent to use) absolutely, recklessly sucks, sucks sucks sucks, sucks worse and worse with each new iteration, and MS themselves openly admits that their next generation, XP, by their deliberate intent is gonna suck worse than any previous operating system ever sucked ever!

If you insist, for your weird ass-backwards ideological reasons, on using Microsoft's world's-worst products (the consumer equivalent of Thalidomide, which, at least, was only available by prescription) please please PLEASE do yourself a big-ass favor and ditch that absurdly, psychedelically awful 95/98/ME crap for Windows 2000.

The NT series is, for historical reasons, different and far superior - NT was originally developed by an independent team of guys, in Microsoft yet not _of_ Microsoft,, led by VMS genius Dave Cutler, whom MS stole out of Digital, and it shares absolutely _none_ of that dog's breakfast 16-bit code base which is the underpinnings and the curse of MS's post-DOS line-up. Rather than soil themselves by investigating the source code of the real MS-DOS, the Cutler team even bought their DOS box off a third-party vendor who sold a 32-bit DOS emulator for Macintoshes! Which means that a DOS window inside NT is far functionally superior to a real computer running real MS-DOS!

Why should you put up with new stuff which is lousier than the old stuff it supplanted? Technological progress isn't supposed to work that way - it's supposed to be like biological evolution, except with an advanced garbage collector - but the plain facts can't be denied. Carrol, NT 5.0, I mean Windows 2000, will only cost you at most $300, and it's worth every cent of it twice over to FDISK 95/98/ME right the Hell off your hard drive. I myself prefer NT 4.0 but they don't sell it any more so you can't get that. If you were an anarchist I'd offer to postal-mail you a bootleg - solidarity, right on! but you're above all that, I know. Ideology be damned, 95/98/ME is just plain crap, and I like you too much, you smart crabby bastard, to want you to have to put up with it.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net