gloomsters' treat

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 5 14:23:29 PDT 2001

Carl Remick wrote:

>In this and other ways, business shows a remarkable ability to
>malign individual consumers and investors for engaging in
>irrational, short-sighted behavior that business, itself, is ever
>more quickest to resort to. In times of extreme market volatility,
>e.g., I believe that it is the market professionals who are
>increasingly the first to be afflicted by the madness of crowds.

Yup. But there are a lot of good reasons for this: 1) there are fewer of them, 2) they tend to work together, 3) they share the same information sources, 4) those information sources are, compared to mass info sources, relatively few in number and produced by people who talk to each other and whose target audience doubles as their "experts." A real circle jerk.

Doug