Surrendered Wives

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Sat May 5 21:31:08 PDT 2001

>The basic tenants of being a surrendered wife are that a wife:
>

>Relinquishes inappropriate control of her husband.
>
>Respects her husband's thinking.
>
>Receives his gifts graciously and expresses gratitude for him.
>
>Expresses what she wants without trying to control him.
>
>Relies on him to handle household finances.
>
>Focuses on her own self-care and fulfillment.
>
>As a result of the changes, a surrendered wife is:
>

>Vulnerable where she used to be a nag.
>
>Trusting where she used to be controlling.
>
>Respectful where she used to be demeaning.
>
>Grateful where she used to be dissatisfied.
>
>Has faith where she once had doubt.
>
>Doyle said that the surrender in surrendered wife is not about submitting,
>but instead about surrendering control over your spouse.
>
>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/kprc/20010505/lo/393521_1.html

Sounds for the most part (the finances bit is a bit dodgy) like a 'good spouse', even a 'good friend', checklist. The quest for control is pretty well inimical to all human relations, no? So, going on this list, I don't think 'surrendered wife' is anything but a marketing ploy to feed on some controversy. To the degree that these 'self-improvement' things have any efficacy at all, this lot seems pretty harmless - mebbe even a useful check-list against which to monitor one's own role in one's relationships occasionally.

Cheers, Rob.