Bookchin v. "lifesyle anarchism"

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Sun May 6 08:49:12 PDT 2001

s-t-t at juno.com wrote:

> s-t-t at juno.com writes:
>
> > You must be kidding. Then, what *is* the appropriate anarchist term
> > for,
> > say, deciding that being a vegan, dancing in the streets, and doing
> > AdBuster approved actions is the end all be all of contemporary
> > anarchist
> > politics?
>
> Alright, that last bit was unnecessarily inflammatory. A better phrasing
> might be: Chuck0, are you saying there is no "lifestyle anarchism" as
> Bookchin defines it or that there is no variant of anarchism that
> diverges from or is antagonistic to the struggle for a free society for
> all?

There is no "lifestyle anarchism" as Bookchin defines it, because in his worldview, anybody who has ever criticized him is a "lifestyle anarchist." He completely failed to address the more common use of that phrase, used to moralistically condemn "anarchists" who are into the trappings of anarchism, such as the look, the lifestyle, and so on.

I've always thought that there were more important things to worry about than these few people who aren't a problem. But I have been annoyed with anarchists who attempt to use this concept to condemn other anarchist activists who engage in campaigns like Food Not Bombs or pirate radio. There is still this leftover Left dogmatism in anarchism which says that the only appropriate locus of resistance to the state and capitalism is the workplace. This ignores that the "workers" have lives and needs and desires away from the world of work. ANd this ignores the importance of these projects to the creation of the culture of resistance and the demonstration of how anarchism works in practice.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).