open source software and "economics"

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Tue May 8 22:20:30 PDT 2001

At 09:26 PM 5/8/01 -0700, Peter Kosenko wrote:

>Okay, so Kelley will call me a "geekazoid" (actually, I am a former
>English grad student who taught himself how to program, but I have no
>interest in software as an ultimate "ding an sich," so to speak). 8-:)

people call me a geekazoid too--tho, i don't program. the point was: i get called that regularly now and it is a laugh to those who knew me 2-4 years ago. as i already mentioned, i mock geeks-despite being identified as one. i am also an academic, and mock them. i'm a sociologist, and mock them. i'm a feminist and mock them. and so it goes, as my own form of snobbery, which i nicely foregrounded before anyone else did!!! :)--that is, i equate the snobbery of geeks with the snobbery of lefties who just can't figger out why "the people" or "the workers" are so dumb!

matt and ac are so het on themselves that they just can't seem to recognize this and think i'm knocking hackers in some sort of unique way. right!

kelley