Hitchens on Kerry

brettk at unicacorp.com brettk at unicacorp.com
Wed May 9 10:31:18 PDT 2001

Leo,

How do you figure?

I see a distinction between setting off a car bomb and shooting at a

policeman, but I fail to see how Clinton (and other presidents) are more

like the latter than the former.

When Clinton bombed the factory is Sudan, there was no danger of anyone

firing back, and the evidence linking the factory to Bin-Laden was

basically nil. It was a civilian target, and the order was almost

certainly politically motivated rather than an attempt to cripple

Bin-Laden's activities. And I wonder how Pakistanis view the errant

missle, meant for Bin-Laden's HQ, that struck their country? When Clinton

bombed the Serbs, there was virtually no chance of US casualties, civilian

targets were routinely hit, civilian casualties were a matter of record

during the bombing, and even Albanians refugees were killed by US

munitions. Add in the environmental damage caused by destroyed chemical

plants and the use of DU shells, and its hard to argue that the bombing

was anything but a terrorist campaign.

Then there is the ongoing sanctions against Iraq, which has caused a

tremendous amount of civilian suffering. The sanctions are worse than

indiscriminate because they target the most vulnerable (and innocent)

segments of Iraqi society while the top governement officials suffer the

least.

Brett

>>McVeigh and the Irish Republican who sets off a bomb on a crowded street

are

>>in the same moral situation as Clinton, Bush, and their servants, who if

>>the newspapers are to be believed have also set off bombs on crowded

>>streets and blown up day care centers. (Literally, they have other

people

>>do these things, speaking of cowardice.) I haven't seen anything by

>>Cockburn or Vidal that justify this sort of thing as good in itself;

what