Lou Reed Dead/Albright

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed May 9 14:55:23 PDT 2001

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Peter K. wrote:

> Reed was young and interesting. How political was he or
> the Underground?

Naw. The VU rocked, one of the two greatest bands of the 1960s, the other being the Jimi Hendrix Experience. "All Tomorrow's Parties" is just mind-boggling, stereophonic Nico like some Angelus Novelus of the global, "Sister Ray" opened the door for thirty years of punk and hip hop. I'd argue that, together, Jimi and Lou created the basic vocabulary of multinational music, a.k.a. hip hop. So we'll forgive Lou his sins, in the (probably vain) hope that some of those concert receipts may yet end up in the coffers of the Global Resistance.

-- Dennis