"Collateral Damage" as Caste Offense

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Wed May 9 18:44:03 PDT 2001

I think "collateral damage" as euphemism for killing innocents is obscene. However, outrage falls only on McVeigh for using it. The originators of the obscenity, our Government or its spokesmen, weren't and aren't condemned at all.

So, McVeigh is a Dalit. It would be all right for him to use "collateral damage" if he belonged to the right caste. The real offense is a low-caste person killing innocents as if he were upper-caste. IMO, that is the root of the outrage.

-- John K. Taber