Missing in Action

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu May 10 06:44:12 PDT 2001

>Gordon Fitch wrote:
>> My point was that much of the Left accepted the ruling-class
> > view of the POW/MIA issue from the beginning, because it
>
>Gordon, can't you understand. You are expressing the ruling class view!
>
>The views you are repeating are the views of a deliberate conspiracy
>to confuse the American public. Many working class whites support
>the police murder of black people. Does that make disapproval of
>police a ruling class view?
>
>I remain utterly baffled by what you are saying. It makes no sense at all.
>
>Almost ALL the MIAs were what Kelly calls "upper middle class." The
>whole MIA/POW scam was intended to rook the american people into
>supporting the u.s. crimes in southeast asia.
>
>Why are you repeating one the major Ruling Class propaganda feats of
>the last quarter century. You are becoming worse than the New York
>Times. I don't believe that such a sensible person as you can have
>such a distorted view of the Class Content of the MIA/POW issue. You
>are repeating, I repeat, the Ruling Class dogma on this issue.
>
>Carrol

The POW/MIA propaganda that the U.S. government & corporate media have promulgated is ideologically similar to the propaganda put out by their Japanese counterparts that North Korea abducted Japanese individuals -- especially young girls -- for espionage & other purposes. For the content of the latter propaganda, see for instance "Re-examining 'Alleged Abduction of Japanese'" at <http://www.korea-np.co.jp/pk/156th_issue/2001022112.htm>. The "North Korean abduction" stories are as bizarre as "alien abduction" ones -- nothing but stuff of urban legends -- but they have been nonetheless seriously reported in the Japanese media (though I don't know how reporters can keep straight face while doing so), & the Japanese government, to this day, has used the abduction myths as an excuse not to normalize its relation with the North Korean government.

Ideology inverts reality, turning victims into victimizers & vice versa, allowing the U.S. & Japanese governments not to confront their crimes.

Yoshie