Detroit most segregated city is US

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu May 10 07:19:05 PDT 2001

At 03:57 PM 5/9/01 -0400, Jim quoted:
>http://www.jsonline.com/news/census2000/may01/seg09050801.asp:

Among the reasons for the increase in segregation is the fact that adults without children and families with children live in different kinds of neighborhoods, the researchers said.

"Although data are not yet available to examine this phenomenon, it is likely that whites living in more integrated neighborhoods tend to be childless - either young adults or parents whose children have grown up," the researchers said in the report.

"At the same time, we suspect that white families with children are disproportionately found in predominantly white settings. Past research has certainly shown that having school-aged children is a strong predictor of living in the suburbs for whites," they said.

Other possible causes for the segregation include a lack of affordable housing and multifamily housing in the suburbs or a housing market that is unwilling to accept black renters or home buyers, Logan said. -------------------------------------

WS: It's the school system, stupid. Virtually every adult with school-age children I know cites better schools as the primary reason for living in the burbs.

And it's difficult to blame them. My kid initially went to the so-called "zoned" high school, and lasted there for about 3 weeks. The day was considered a "success" there if it went by without any major incident of violence. Needless to say that nobody gave a shit about academic standards. After three weeks I thad to transfer him to the so-called "magnet" school -- still public and within the city limits but with much stricter rules of conduct and academic standards.

Interestingly, although the "magnet" school was a reflection of Baltimore's demographic composition (about 70% blacks) i.e. "integrated," and most students came from a similar middle class background, the student population remained highly seggregated in their extra-curricular activities and peer groups: whites and "coloreds" (Indians, Middle-Easterners, Asians etc.) on the one hand, and blacks on the other. This was particularly apparent in the conspicuous absence of inter-racial dating. Reportedly, there were very few attempts to break that invisible barrier, and those who tried were generally shunned. Now, lest someone starts babbling about "racism" - this was one of the most integrated and progressive high schools in the area - many kids (including mine) were heavily into the "free Mumia" movement, "clinic defense," visits to Cuba, progressive punk, grafitti, anti-establishment, anti-racism, anti-death- penalty, etc.

I tried to obtain some information about possible reasons of that situation, but without much success. I wonder if anyone on this list can provide some insights on this issue (preferably from one's own experience or similar empirical observations - no raving, names dropping or citing literary products, please).

wojtek