Just War

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Fri May 11 09:07:09 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----

From: LeoCasey at aol.com

To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com

Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 8:24 AM

Subject: Re: Just War

However, there is a considerable gap between resisting or evading immediate

attack, and planning war.

Absolutely, and that is one of the distinctions that lie at the core of the

just war theory. A war of aggression is not, by defintion, just; a war of

self-defense may be just.

What is a war of self-defense? All wars begin with an aggressor. Use of passive third person narratives by the aggressor to justify the inuaguration of violence expose the fallacies involved. Ex post "victors justice" models, posing as just war theory fail to adequately parse this distinction. Hence my queries about what constitutes moral authority.

This begs the key issue of where one draws the line

between wars of aggression and wars of self-defense, but it does allow us to

begin to think more clearly and precisely about these questions.

Who gets to draw the line is every bit as important; and that is where we need to go especially if we are to help people decode the outright lies coming from the Bush administration.

Ian