doctor disease

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri May 11 11:08:03 PDT 2001

Wojtek,

It does not sound to me like you have ever really needed a doctor. Consider yourself fortunate. I didn't either until after the birth of my second child. Complications from the pregnancy and delivery--exacerbated by medical inattention--grew into two years' worth of excruciating, chronic pain.

Insurance companies are major contributors to the problem. It takes me longer to edit a sentence than most doctors can spare to treat an individual patient. I have been in the US since 1963 and the deterioration in health care is very obvious to me.

The American life style and general ignorance about health also contributes to the problem.

As for the "witchcraft" of alternative medicine: I have not found it to be witchcraft. And the reason people drift in that direction is that they wish to be treated as whole beings--not as isolated organs.

When "scientific" medicine was establishing itself as a male domain, it was convenient to label to traditional herbalists "witches" and to burn them. As a result we have lost a great deal of knowledge which still exists in Chinese medicine. I am surprised that you would also label it as such.

I hope you continue in rude good health.

Joanna Bujes