doctor disease

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri May 11 11:23:27 PDT 2001

At 11:08 AM 5/11/01 -0700, joanna wrote:
>When "scientific" medicine was establishing itself as a male domain, it was
>convenient to label to traditional herbalists "witches" and to burn them.

joanna, sweatie, i think you got your dates wrong. The last recorded case of witch hunting was in 1692 in Salem, MA, whereas scientific medicine has not emerged until the end of the 19th century. What is more, the driving force behind wittch burning was the Christian Church which feared competition from practitioners of 'pagan' rituals.

I alos do not quite follow your argument abut the relationship between my health and view of doctors. Being in good health means no need for doctors, and that would stipulate disparagiing opinions of them, no?

But more seriously, the alternative medicine could be quite effective in treating life-style ailments of frustrated middle class US-ers, and that is fine. But it is quite arrogant to sell that quackery as a treatment for malaria, TB, or AIDS affecting, say, the sub-Saharan Africa.

>As a result we have lost a great deal of knowledge which still exists in
>Chinese medicine. I am surprised that you would also label it as such.

I would not. I have no clue where you got that idea from.

wojtek