doctor disease

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri May 11 18:11:31 PDT 2001

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Marta Russell wrote:

> When it takes going to three or four doctors to find one who can
> diagnose a blood clot in the leg when the leg is turning blue as
> happened to a good friend of mine (and caused him hospitalization
> cause of their ineptitude and failure to catch it when it started),
> ain't it obvious?

Not necessarily. The human body is enormously complex, doctors are fallible and not superhuman, but chances are they have a way better chance of finding out what's wrong than most of us, who don't have any medical training it all. The worst problems in our medical system continue to be lack of access and overworked practitioners, hounded by a system which puts the needs of the rich above the needs of the working majority. Medical care is one of those areas where class differences really do kill; future societies will consider America's noxious lack of single-payer coverage for the atrocious horror it is -- the moral equivalent of death-camps. Capital is what turns people into commodified meat products, not the imperfect professionals who labor therein.

-- Dennis