doctor disease

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Fri May 11 22:11:50 PDT 2001

At 02:13 PM 5/11/01 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Kelley Walker wrote:
>
>>would you mind coming up with some evidence to back up this claim? do
>>their reports on these matters really come down on the side of

^^^^^^^^^
>>new age healthcare? got any transcipts? content analysis research?
>
>This is absolutely true of WBAI. The quack Gary Null has a daily show, and
>his premiums - which he sells to the station at an unmodest wholesale
>price - bring in big bucks at pledge time. He's not the only quack on the
>air, either. Null and his other quack colleagues urge parents not to
>vaccinate their children, which borders on the criminally irresponsible,
>I'd say.
>
>Doug

"reports" are equivalent to a "talk shows" or whatever you bill a program like null's. it's like suggesting that rush limbaugh or paul harvey are reporters. i'm no fan of quackery or encouraging it, but i don't think a critique of medical practice is advocacy of quack medicine. a good solid read of the history of the medical profession, it's attack on midwives and its treatment of women might make it clear why we need a materialist feminist critique of medicine here.

Barabara Ehrenreich and Deidre English wrote a decent one years ago.

it seems alittle silly to defend medicine against criticisms by suggesting that socialized medicine will solve the problems are insane. the kind of stuff that marta experienced is far worse for the poor who receive medicare and medicaid. socializing medicine while leaving the structure of medical training and practice intact will be a complete disaster. funding needs to be accompanied by fundamental reforms in the way physicians are trained and in the way they practice medicine.

kelley