platform shoes and bear markets

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 14 00:14:40 PDT 2001

--- Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote: > >[not this bit] Burton Malkiel exposed some technicians to
> > some charts he'd randomly generated, and they found their
> usual
> > pennants, double bottoms, and rising wedges anyway.

A prank on the level of the Sokal hoax, and just as enlightening. Feed Burton Malkiel some fake data and see what he does with it. An equally cheap shot against Victor Niederhoffer might be to point out that the last chapter in "The Education of a Speculator" really ought to deal with the disintegration and bankruptcy of his own fund.

> I think you're too quick to dismiss technical analysis.

Andrew Lo agrees, and he's scary clever.

http://web.mit.edu/alo/www/articles.html

http://web.mit.edu/alo/www/Papers/techanal.html

d^2

===== ... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. -- Bertrand Russell