"Violence" as a Useless Category, was Re: Just Wars

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 14 09:11:11 PDT 2001

Ian Murray wrote:

> Would not the society we seek prefer competence to power
> as one of many organizing principles of civic administration including
> in the realm of conflict resolution? Or is there no bureaucracy in the
> future?

I presume that "competence" belongs to the realm of "fact" and "power" belongs to the realm of "value." I don't see how they can be separated. A bureaucracy is a machinery for the application of power of various sorts.

_cracy_ from _krato_, strength, power. Do you mean that we can have a perfectly neutral machinery of organization and then "apply" values to it?

This seems incoherent, and an attempt to analyze it leads to tautology. Power is not power if it is not competent. Competency is not competency if it lacks power. This is beginning to sound like one of the more arcane passages in a Platonic dialogue.

Carrol