doctor disease

Peter Kosenko kosenko at netwood.net
Mon May 14 18:37:33 PDT 2001

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:03:34 -0400

>John Halle wrote:
>
>>I vaguely remember being brought up short a while back hearing Null
>>endorse something which might be described, without going into to too much
>>detail, as "urine therapy".

I don't know how I'm going to pull of relating that to what I was going to post.

CLUSTERED WATER

http://www.clusteredwateronline.com/frame.htm

"Alternaquacks," astrologers, personal creativity coaches, pet sitters, Rolphers, tarot readers, and various spiritual guides post fliers on the bulletin board at the back of the coffee house I go to.

One of the most obvious scams I have seen (as I remember it) was a "doctor" of "chemistry" holding seminars to sell the benefits of "clustered water." The flier had a testimonial from some third-rank Olympic swimmer who claimed that it improved his performance and health. (Hey, if you don't win the gold, your endorsement opportunities are limited.)

What is "clustered water"? I don't know, but the flier had pictures of snow flakes on it. Now those are definitely "clustered water" in some ordinary sense, but I don't know that anyone has ever made any special medical claims for eating snow.

Instead, we are told that "clustered water . . . improves cell hydration." No false claims there. But if you think about it, drinking a glass of ordinary water would "improve cell hydration."

When supposedly educated people fall for such things, it scares me a little, since I begin to wonder how they process other arguments. The "clustered water" claims are obviously aesthetic, "moral," and psychological. People are searching for things that will make them feel "pure," not things that actually work as claimed. And they are narcissistic in this search. It's not about discovering remedies that can actually actually improve (everyone's) health but about finding some ritual that makes them personally "feel good" or convinces them that they have ascended to a "higher" spiritual and moral plane than other people.

I don't know how drinking one's own pee would fit into that. But maybe Gary Null and the Clustered Water "doctor" could get together and hawk the benefits of consuming yellow snow.

Peter Kosenko