judicial tyranny

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 22:13:05 PDT 2001

I can't speak for Nathan, but I was just plain shocked. We are indoctrinated as lawyers to think law _isn't_ just politics, that its legitimacy derives from adherence to internally consistent principles--the meaning of statutes and the constitutional language, respect for precedent. Sure, we know that the politics of a judge will affect his or her interpretation, but it's bad judging if politics totally determines it in the face of precedent and plain meaning. It was a slam dunk that on existing case law, the SCt should never have taken Bush v. Gore, and if it did t9ake it, that it whould not have pulled equal protection out of a hat in a way that, if taken seriously, would strike down the electotal college and the Senate, and then announced that this was a one-time only special offer. For a lawyer, that's shocking. --jks