judicial tyranny

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 07:45:06 PDT 2001

John and I disagree about how much indeterminacy there is in appellate cases, partly because we have different criteria. He thinks that if appellate panels disagree, or there is a rehearing en banc (by the full court), or the Supremes reverse, then the answer is indeterminate. Essentially, the idea is that if the professionals disagree, who is to say. I think this ignores the degree to which the appellate courts are--yes--politicized. Anything coming out of the 4th (especially), 5th, or 11th Cirs is suspect; these are hard right courts that are very "activist" and result oriented. The Supremes (which account for every few cases, about 80 a year, not all of which are reversals) are wholly politicized.

In my arrogance, I trust my own judgment about which cases are slam dunk; I normally think I am right, like everyone else, although I have been persuaded otherwise in granted motions to reconsider and the like. But I think I know the diffeence between cases where I think I am right, but reasonable lawyers might reasonably differ, and the vast majority of cases where I think there is no reasonable difference on legal questions. (Questions of fact are another story.) John, why will I learn to disguise this? What's wrong with it?

As to invoking morality where the outcome is indeterminate, sure. I am working on a paper on this. How could one not do that? We want judges to do justice within the law, and how can they do justice except according to their own lights? They should use somebody else's lights, maybe? But, since their lights differ, we want the justice they do to be within the law, so where the outcome is clear, we want them to do what the law says whether we like what the law says or not.

--jks

I put aside Justin's