judicial tyranny

Fri May 18 07:54:10 PDT 2001

>>> jkschw at hotmail.com 05/17/01 04:32PM >>>
Jesus, Charles, the first thing you learn in this job is that you can _never_ trust the parties' briefs on the law _or_ the facts. They lie. They miss things. They misrepresent.

((((((((

CB: Funny thing is that litigators say about the same things about judges and their clerks. "What a dumb decision . Did he go to law school ? He must have been paid off !"

You know the old saying from lawschool. The A students become professors, the B students become lawyers, and the C students become judges.

The next thing you will learn is it is the lawyers , not the judges, who make the law.

((((((

We're sending a well-litigated case run by good lawyers on both sides (a rare experience) to the jury today, and it's amazing how much they missed.

((((((((

CB: I can imagine what they are saying about you.

((((((((

The less able lawyers do proportionately worse. Basically I have to do _everything_ myself from scratch. And it's Rule 11 you're thinking of. The only reason we don't use it more than we do is that if we used it for all the half-assed, dishonest arguments that deserved it, we'd sanction almost everyone almost all the time. In any case, if you do the job right, you find that there is not always a case to be made of the civil plaintiff or criminal defendant. --jks

(((((((((

CB: How long have you been doing this ? You'll learn. You have more power, not superior understanding of the law. In other words, the only reason you are more "right" on the law is that what the judge says is the law is the law. You know the joke about the umpires.