Ashcroft's prayer circle

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 18 09:38:59 PDT 2001

--- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: > Daniel Davies wrote:

> >In unrelated news, a wonderful still of John Prescott, our
> >deputy prime minister, chinning a member of the Countryside
> >Alliance is available here:
>
> The accompanying article reports that "Jack Straw, the Home
> Secretary, was slow-handclapped by police officers." Is this a very
> British way of expressing disapproval?

Yes, I think it comes from cricket games, where a slow handclap is used to indicate displeasure at unsportsmanlike or negative play.

In actual fact, however, the Telegraph is being a bit mealy-mouthed here; I've heard the radio coverage, and the Old Bill were actually audibly drunk and shouting abuse.

d^2

===== ... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. -- Bertrand Russell