judicial tyranny

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 09:47:33 PDT 2001

OK, fair enough. I knew that. What I meant was that I would retain confidence in my own judgment even when I have to be politic. I have to be politic now in dealing with the thickheaded opinions issued the 7C. I would never tell an appeals court that any of its thickheaded cases were stupid and wrong, whoever wrote the opinion. I have seen Judge Easterbrook lose his temper at counsel (granted, it doesn't take much to provoke him) for suggesting that he ought to accord special weight to his own cases. I don't think the 7C would appreciate it is we wrote an opinion saying, The 7C just decided to ignore the law, but we have to do what it says anyway--not that I haven't been tempted. Once I actually drafted such an opinion, but it was not issued. --jks