Krugman: Gas Math

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat May 19 20:41:32 PDT 2001

May 20, 2001

Burn, Baby, Burn

By PAUL KRUGMAN

W ho knew that Dick Cheney had such a sense of humor?

He had us rolling in the aisles after the famous put-down in which he

dismissed energy conservation as nothing more than a "sign of personal

virtue." But the joke got much better Thursday, with the release of

the administration's energy plan. Just for laughs, Mr. Cheney threw in

a few mock conservation measures. Topping the list was a tax credit

for get this people who purchase hybrid gas-electric cars.

In case you don't quite get the joke: during the campaign one of

George W. Bush's favorite gag lines involved making fun of Al Gore's

proposal for you guessed it a tax credit for purchase of hybrid cars.

It got big laughs because it symbolized his opponent's supposed

preoccupation with trivialities. Now, in a fine satirical gesture, Mr.

Cheney has made the very same proposal his lead conservation measure.

Take that, you wimps!

It seems that the pundits, having misjudged Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney

during the campaign, have done it again. We now know that the moderate

rhetoric Mr. Bush used during the campaign was insincere; but it turns

out that the administration's libertarian rhetoric during the selling

of the tax cut was equally insincere. These guys don't believe in free

markets: what they're really into is heavy metal. Refineries!

Pipelines! Nuclear power plants! That's the stuff!

To justify their lust for tubular steel, Mr. Cheney and his

collaborators have gone to great lengths to fabricate an energy crisis

and they have also suddenly decided that free markets don't work after

all. "Estimates," says the report, "indicate that over the next 20

years U.S. oil consumption will increase by 33 percent." Whose

estimates? We are never told. But that's an awfully high number. In

the 20 years ending in 1999, the last year for which official data are

available, oil consumption rose less than 5 percent. All I can figure

is that Mr. Cheney's people are extrapolating from the abrupt decline

in automobile fuel efficiency over the last few years, as people have

switched from ordinary cars to S.U.V.'s. And what they are saying is

that we should base our energy policy on the assumption that this

quite recent trend will continue unabated for decades.

This doesn't have to happen. In fact, it isn't going to happen, even

in the absence of any serious conservation measures. To burn as much

oil as the Cheney report says we need, everyone who still drives a

mere car would have to acquire an S.U.V., and everyone who now drives

an S.U.V. would have to start driving something the size of a Sherman

tank.

What's behind Mr. Cheney's greasy math? It goes without saying that he

wants to scare us into relaxing environmental regulation. But there's

more: the Cheney plan provides an array of subsidies, explicit and

implicit, for energy producers. Indeed, the libertarian Cato Institute

calls the plan a "smorgasbord of handouts and subsidies for virtually

every energy lobby in Washington."

Strange, isn't it? If you're a low- paid worker, or an energy

consumer, the free market is sacrosanct it would be a terrible thing

if government provided you with any assistance. But energy producers

apparently need special encouragement to do their regular job.

In fact, of course, they don't. Mr. Cheney loves to talk about our

alleged need to build a new power plant every week for the next 20

years, implying that this is a herculean task that can only be

accomplished with a lot of help from Washington. But high prices have

already sparked a huge construction boom in the power industry, which

will add three or four plants per week for the next few years. As some

wags have put it, if the power industry wants to meet Mr. Cheney's

target it will have to slow down its building program.

The truth is that the administration has things exactly the wrong way

around. It claims that we face a long-run energy crisis, and that

there are no short-term answers. The reality is that in the long run

the forces of supply and demand will take care of our energy needs,

with or without Mr. Cheney's expensive new program of corporate

welfare. What we need is a strategy to deal with the temporary problem

of sky-high prices and huge windfall profits. But we're not going to

get it, at least not from Washington.

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company | Privacy Information