Prescription For Fascism: Alternative Medicine and Right-WingPolitics

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Sun May 20 15:05:30 PDT 2001

"Chip Berlet" <cberlet at igc.org> wrote:

<<

The overlap between certain alternative medicine promoters and the political right is extensive, but in fairness not all of alternative medicine is right wing. A good example of rightist ideas being laundered and promoted to the left in this arena is Gary Null and his program on WBAI.

I wonder about this. Some time back when food became scarce in North Korea, North Korean TV suddenly and noisily announced the virtues of rice, according to the NYT. Then when even rice became scarce, North Korean TV maintained that grass was good.

So, isn't it true that medical care is getting scarce because of its cost? I imagine that eventually only the wealthy will have medical care. The rest of us can get stuck with needles eat garlic capsules, and drink herbal teas.

In other words, isn't alternative medicine ersatz medicine? And isn't its publicity a function of the scarcity of real medical care? Then the right wing promotion of it would make more sense.

Walter Reed for Strom Thurmond. Needles for you and me.

-- John K. Taber