Prescription For Fascism: Alternative Medicine and Right-WingPolitics

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sun May 20 17:26:34 PDT 2001

John K. Taber:
> In other words, isn't alternative medicine ersatz medicine?
> And isn't its publicity a function of the scarcity of real
> medical care? Then the right wing promotion of it would make
> more sense.
>
> Walter Reed for Strom Thurmond. Needles for you and me.

I think the kind of right wing that promotes alternative medicine and the kind that inspirits the AMA are of two different kinds. It seems likely, anyway.

I became interested in alternative medicine back in the days when doctors told people that diet wasn't very important and that vitamins didn't do anything. I noticed that taking vitamin C and vitamin A reduced the incidence and duration of colds. This set me to thinking, and it came to me that the medical profession was a profit-making enterprise whose personnel were rather conservative politically and socially, and that they weren't making any money off over-the-counter vitamins. It seemed possible that they were just a bunch of guys (mostly guys) who were trying to get rich real fast and otherwise reflected the usual unthinking prejudices of their culture, class and times. In dawned on me that the medical profession might have something other than _my_ best interests at heart.

Later I read a lot about iatrogenic medicine and the heroic- intervention model of medical practice which confirmed my suspicions. One of the things I read was about a pill which I happened to remember had been prescribed to my wife during pregnancy; I remembered it well because she threw it up instantly. A good thing, too, because it turned out to cause birth defects. Just part of the cornucopia of tranks, antibiotics and other crap then being dumped wholesale (except for the price) on the unsuspecting public.

In any case, as you note, whether orthodox medical practice works or not, it's very expensive. So, just as you say, alternative medicine is _ersatz_ (substitute) medicine, but since the orthodox sort is so polluted by greed and prejudice, the substitute may actually be better. A non-ersatz, scientific sort of medicine seems _possible_, but apparently not under conditions of capitalism and orthodoxy. You would think this might have occurred to most of those who profess leftist beliefs already, wouldn't you? Oh, well.

There's one other thing I'd like to note: I spend a bit of time each week in two or more "health food" stores because I can get unprocessed foods, especially bulk grain products there. (That's where anarchist oatmeal cookies come from!) The rolled oats cost me about 70 cents a pound, as opposed to about double that which you pay to get an inconvenient round box of them from Quaker Oats, and they're of better quality. I agree that there's a lot of b.s. going on, lots of flyers posted near the door from gurus, masters, yogis, aromatherapists, pyramid builders, and so on, but I've never seen _any_ explicitly rightist or fascist material in such places. Okay, I've seen a couple of books by Gary Null, but that's it. If you all want to keep flogging the alternative- medicine-and-health-food-is-a-fascist-plot stuff, I think you ought to come up with some solid, broad evidence appropriate to the size of your target. What I think you have is another spontaneous revolt from below against established authority. Fortunately tree-hugging anarchist vegan street dancers are on the case.